Friday, February 4, 2011

Goodbyes...

Annual tradition has Hubby leaving town for Super Bowl weekend. In most cases, he and the guys head to a place filled with wine, women & song... nah that's an old poem, right?? The guys head to a place of fast cars, fast women & fast money...  Nope, not that either! My Hubby and his pals usually go anywhere with gaming, beer and THE BIGGEST TVs THIS SIDE OF TEXAS!!  Yep, they do! Well, maybe some of the women scenarios fit into that category too.  HA!   Viewing of the big game alternates usually between Las Vegas or Lake Tahoe. Somehow they find themselves in Cabo San Lucas, Mexico this time around.  hhhmmmm....
what's that got to do with U.S. football? I'm just sayin....
I made the trek to San Francisco International and left them at Departures. We said our goodbyes curbside. I had a smile on my face and felt glad to know he had a song in his heart and money burning a hole in his pocket! A nice happy parting.



 Bon Voyage, Adios, Arrivaderci, Adieu....  so many ways to say goodbye. I'm wondering how the term came to be??  It seems to me that saying farewells isn't always good.  There are the fond ones as I had at the airport, and others like the first one I had this morning....


My friend... ya know, the one I don't name. She's the happy, fun person who is no longer either of these. I spoke of her awhile back. The phone rang as we were walking out the door to the airport. Says she - "I can't do this any longer. I don't have the energy. It's too hard". I luckily know that she's been re-hospitalized. This makes my terror soften slightly, as I know she can't get out nor can she do harm. She is saying her goodbyes to me. Says she - "remember I was your friend; you were one of my best". These are words that hit hard. This kind of leaving is not kind, gentle or wanted. The meaning for this cannot be goodbye... for how is it in any way good?? In the end, all that I could do was offer sweetness (maybe meaningless?) and light. Explaining away her feelings, negating her truths. Says I - "you've been doing so well. you will again", "you can't leave everyone that loves you".  yadda yadda yadda.... In the grand scheme of things will anything I said matter?? I'm not sure that I'll ever know.

However, I do know that I WILL NOT SAY GOODBYE to her....

2 comments:

  1. Everything you say to your friend matters! Keeping her in thought!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you from the bottom of my heart. luv Terrired

    ReplyDelete